In February 2014, the Australian Government established a Teacher Education Ministerial Advisory Group (TEMAG) to provide advice on how teacher education programmes could be improved to better prepare new teachers with the practical skills needed for the classroom.
- Pedagogical approaches;
- Subject content and
- Professional experience (practicum).
- Increased cultural diversity of education graduates
- Increased cultural knowledge and skills for all graduates
- Stronger School-University-Indigenous partnerships
- Evidence-based curriculum, pedagogy and cultural responsiveness
- Improved policy advice, co-ordination and accountability.
As a nation Australia values the central role of education in building a democratic, equitable and just society— a society that is prosperous, cohesive and culturally diverse, and that values Australia’s Indigenous cultures as a key part of the nation’s history, present and future.
Melbourne Declaration on Educational Goals for Young People, Agreed by all Education Ministers, December 2008